Information for new substitute teacher candidateS
Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching at Hogan Prep! In order to become a substitute at HPA, you must obtain a certification from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
To be eligible for a substitute certificate, you must either have 60 college credits hours OR complete the DESE approved online course.
STEP 1: Complete an Online Substitute Certificate Application
- First, create a profile in our certification system. Please follow the instructions outlines in the Educator Certification System Help Guide for the Certification System.
- Next, find the "applications" link in the menu on the left hand side of the screen to see a list of application types.
- Choose "Substitute" from the list to create an online application.
- Complete and submit the application.
- A non-refundable processing fee of $50 is required. The fee will be paid at the time the application is submitted online. Fees may be paid by credit/debit card of by e-check.
STEP 2: Submit required supporting documentation to DESE
OPTION 1: 60 College Credit Hours
- ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTS from ALL institutions you have attended must be mailed to: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Please be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number on all of the transcripts. Faxes, scanned, emailed, or photocopied transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
OPTION 2: CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FROM APPROVED SUBSTIUTE TRANING
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FROM APPROVED SUBSTITUTE TRAINING- CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE TRAINING
- COPY OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, GERENAL EDUCATION DIPLOMA (GED), OR HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY TEST (HiSET) MUST BE MAILED TO: Educator Certification, PO BOX 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Please be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number. Faxed, scanned, or emailed documents will not be accepted. These documents become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
STEP 3: Fingerprint/Background Check
- A criminal fingerprint/background clearance must be obtained before a certificate can be issued.
- IMPORTANT: Use CODE 0967 when registering for your background check.
- HPA will cover the costs of the background check.
Contact Theresa Williams at 816.444.3484 or firstname.lastname@example.org